We all know there are so many various coaching methods, education applications, and coaching personalities. A lot of gymnastics coaches effectively get their gymnasts much better, but they do not automatically integrate ample activity particular coaching into their programs. I have witnessed gymnasts advantage from the standard strength workouts this kind of as drive ups, but when it comes time to carry out specified capabilities the gymnast’s muscles are not often prepared, accustomed to the sequence of movements for the skills, or strong enough in each and every place needed to safely and securely comprehensive the skill.
Gymnasts genuinely need to have a assortment of coaching to contain activity particular coaching aside from general toughness conditioning in purchase to more closely simulate the capabilities in our activity. For illustration, a lot of straight arm workouts such as the front lateral raise, push handstand, or planche drills far more carefully simulate gymnastics expertise than bent arm workout routines this sort of as the push up, bench push, or reverse dips.
Right here is one straight arm workout that has aided a lot of gymnasts reinforce their chest, shoulders, and back muscle tissues, turning out to be stronger in two extremely important motions. Given that the gymnast frequently need to be able to open up and shut the shoulder angle in the course of skills on uneven bars, I have included a quite beneficial exercising which incorporates the two up and down actions. This one particular need to help her discover to effectively changeover from one particular arm motion to the following with simplicity. Photo your gymnast doing a glide kip, solid handstand, clear hip handstand. She will have to reverse shoulder actions several times within this limited interval of time. As soon as you see the shoulder actions required to hook up these expertise you will see the reasons I experienced for incorporating two exercises into 1 drill far more than a decade in the past. This physical exercise truly alternates the motions of opening and then closing the shoulder angle.
Lie Down Cast/Kip Drill (Barbell / Toning Bar)
1. Place your gymnast during this exercising. Give her entire directions prior to she begins the exercise.
2. Location Up: Have your gymnast lie on her back again amongst two folded panel mats with her arms above her head. Her head have to continue to be among the mats, but her arms and wrists should go over and above the mats in order to enable the bar to virtually touch the floor following it is lifted over head for total variety of movement.
3. The folded mats should be a few inches greater than your gymnast although she is lying between them for security causes. The bar should be long enough so that every finish can rest on the middle of one of the mats. The bar will be lifted from and returned to the mats without having touching your gymnast. There ought to be ample clearance for your gymnast to slide in or out whilst the bar rests on the mats. Even though you will be recognizing your gymnast, the mats will also aid prevent the bar from touching her. If a single mat on every facet is not substantial ample, you should use two folded mats on each and every aspect. If the bar is brought down as well swiftly or falls, it should land on the mats, not your gymnast. This is a extremely secure physical exercise when the mentor and gymnast keep basic safety in thoughts.
four. After the mats are set up, spot the bar on the mats and make certain it will not drop amongst the mats or roll off.
five. Starting Placement: Once the mats and bar are in location, instruct your gymnast to sit between the mats, slide her legs below the bar, and then lie down. She must placement herself so that the bar is over her hips.
six. Once positioned, permit your gymnast to grasp the bar and then straighten her arms. Instruct your gymnast to hold her arms straight, but not to lock them.
7. Be careful the bar does not shift to an unsafe commencing placement.
8. Following, instruct her to carry the bar up towards ceiling and then toward the ground earlier mentioned her head to simulate a solid to handstand motion with her upper physique.
9. Remind your gymnast to continue to keep the bar securely and then enable her to raise the bar off the flooring, towards ceiling once again, and then reduced it to the mat over her hips to simulate a kip with her upper physique.
10. Allow your gymnast to carry on with many repetitions if she is able. Advise her that it ought to be a constant movement when she is comfy.
11. Your gymnast will most likely want much more location lifting the bar from the mat (the initiation phase) which includes the shoulders (deltoids) than she will on the return phase which includes the again (latissimus) muscle tissue. Be geared up to place all phases of this exercise. You can have 1 mentor location every part. To spot the lift from the mat, kneel on a single of the mats to assist your gymnast elevate off the mat. Kneel near her head to spot the lift from the floor. Make confident you can achieve the bar, specifically when it is above your gymnast’s entire body.
twelve. Commence with the lightest bar achievable, probably even a broomstick to make sure proper protection and sort. After accustomed to this exercise, your gymnast can use weights on a barbell or a firming bar, but it need to usually rely on her toughness and experience. If you are making use of a bar with no weights, you can wrap a thick towel all around each and every conclude to assist avoid your gymnast’s knuckles from touching the floor.
The second workout is a lot more obvious. ninja class This a single also will help the gymnast with particular gymnastics expertise due to the fact she will be in and out of a handstand. The Planche – Virtual Handstand – Planche Drill is a fantastic exercising for physique tightness, control, higher physique toughness, and core energy. This drill is an appropriate exercising for gymnasts on so several stages, which includes individuals envisioned to complete the solid handstand and obvious hip handstand on bars in the close to foreseeable future.
one. Instruct your gymnast to stand with her again to a recognizing block or mat stack, spot her arms on the flooring, and then area one particular foot/ankle on the block. When your gymnast has one foot/ankle on the block, she can then place her other foot/ankle up on the block.
2. Now your gymnast must be in an elevated push up place with her ft on the block. Your gymnast’s legs, hips, and upper body need to stay off the floor during this exercising.
3. Now that your gymnast is in the elevated press up placement, instruct her to shift her arms closer to the recognizing block and her shoulders forward in buy to type a slight planche position.
4. Once your gymnast is in the planche position with her toes on the block, instruct her to squeeze her buttocks and then to pull her tummy button in. You ought to see the reduced portion of your gymnast’s back again elongate into the right low back placement for a handstand (pelvic tilt).
5. Right after your gymnast has fashioned the correct condition with her reduced human body, instruct her to drive down on the ground and pull in her chest concurrently. The part of your gymnast’s back among her shoulder blades need to increase towards the ceiling. Your gymnast has just performed a protraction / shoulder shrug in the planche press up position. To help educate the shoulder shrug contact the portion of your gymnast’s again that is in between her shoulder blades and ask her to press up on your hand to form the rounded again.
6. Instruct your gymnast to maintain that restricted form all through the relaxation of the workout.
7. To commence the exercise, instruct your gymnast to raise one of her legs up toward the ceiling, but to maintain her other foot/ankle on the block. Your gymnast’s human body, with the exception of the foot/ankle nevertheless supported on the block need to have moved as 1 device up to the one leg, or virtual, handstand. The leg that is pointed towards the ceiling ought to be the one particular forming the handstand shape together with the higher entire body.
8. Your gymnast’s shoulders, hips, and 1 ankle need to be straight earlier mentioned her hands while the other leg remains supported on the block. Tell your gymnast that her hips and shoulders should remain square with the block. Her buttocks ought to be beneath, tummy in, hip opened, upper body in, and shoulders in a shrug/stretched position. Remaining sq. and limited is not always straightforward for the gymnast.
nine. As soon as your gymnast is in the appropriate solitary leg, or digital, handstand placement she can commence the return motion by slowly and gradually reducing her free of charge leg again to the block and shifting her shoulders marginally ahead so she returns to the planche thrust up place. Your gymnast’s physique ought to move as one device to the beginning position. Instruct your gymnast to keep her head in line with her backbone, neither tucked in nor tilted back again.
ten. Subsequent, instruct your gymnast to return to the solitary leg, or digital, handstand placement by lifting her free leg again up previously mentioned her hips so that she is vertical, with the exception of her supported leg. She should also open up her armpits back again up, and sq. her shoulders and hips with the block. Your gymnast must deliver her shoulders and head into alignment for the appropriate handstand condition once more. Instruct your gymnast to appear at the floor just earlier mentioned her arms for the planche and then at the block for the handstand.
11. When your gymnast understands the movement of the virtual handstand to planche and back to the handstand, inquire her to complete a number of repetitions prior to halting if she is in a position.
twelve. Advise your gymnast not to planche way too considerably forward until finally she builds strength and gets very cozy so she does not collapse.
thirteen. You should also advise your gymnast to communicate when she is fatigued so that you can allow her to relaxation. This exercise places tremendous stress on your gymnast’s wrists. You must enable her to relaxation when she communicates that her wrists are receiving drained.
This physical exercise, when done correctly, closely simulates the shoulder motions of the forged handstand and clear hip handstand on uneven bars. You can use a floor bar as prolonged as the floor bar is steady.
The continual change in shoulder angle triggers a alter in the desire on your gymnast’s higher human body muscles. Your gymnast must produce energy in a wide assortment of positions following executing this drill regularly and persistently more than the training course of time.
As you can see, these workouts are so considerably different from thrust ups because of the straight arm instruction which so carefully simulates gymnastics capabilities. Your gymnast’s whole higher human body will be challenged with this physical exercise. If carried out usually and persistently this drill should aid enormously with general higher entire body energy in addition to distinct gymnastics abilities.
Despite the fact that the push up and bench push are fantastic workout routines, they do not actually simulate the gymnastics abilities of female gymnasts. Gymnastics capabilities should be simulated in a protected manner in buy to teach a gymnast’s head and human body to execute gymnastics skills safely and securely and efficiently.